KeePass is a free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and mobile devices. You can store your passwords in highly-encrypted databases, which can only be unlocked with one master password and/or a key file.
A database consists of only one file that can be transferred from one computer to another easily. The program supports password groups, in which you can sort your passwords into.
You can drag-n-drop passwords into almost any other window. The auto-type feature types your login information into other windows automatically (just press a hot key). Fast copying passwords or user names to the clipboard is possible by just double-clicking on the specific field in the password list.
KeePass can import data from various file formats. The password list can be exported to various formats, including TXT, HTML, XML and CSV files. The password list can of course also be printed (complete database or only current view).
Searching and sorting the password database is possible.
KeePass ships with a strong random password generator (you can define the possible output characters, length, patterns, rules and restrictions).
The program is available in over 40 languages. It has a plugin framework; plugins provide additional functionality like backup features, network features, integration with other applications, etc.; they are available from the KeePass website.
- Strong security (AES encryption, SHA-256 hash, protection against dictionary and guessing attacks, in-memory protection, …).
- Portable (no installation required), available for many platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, smart devices/phones, …).
- Efficient and flexible organization (entry groups, tags, time fields, file attachments, …).
- Various data transfer methods (clipboard, drag and drop, auto-type, plugins can provide integration with other applications, …).
- Powerful password generator (generation based on character sets and patterns, with many options).
- Extensible (plugin architecture) and multi-language (more than 40 languages are available).