Total PC Defender is a fake antivirus program. Please read Total PC Defender 2010 removal instructions carefully and remove this virus from your computeras soon as possible. The rogue program is from the same family as Desktop Defender 2010. More generally speaking, it's nothing more but a typical rogue application that displays misleading security alerts and reports false system security threats to make you think that your computer is infected with Trojans, wormsand other malicious software. When running, it will imitate a system scan and display numerous infections. Of course, scan results are false. Then it will ask you to pay for a full version of the program in order to remove the infections which actually do not even exist.
While Total PC Defender is running you will also see numerous security alerts appear on your computer. These alerts will state that malicious software is running or that a program is trying to connect to the Internet. Just like the scan results, these security warnings are all fake and are only being shown to scare you into purchasing the program.
As you can see, Total PC Defender was created to scam you into thinking you have a computer problem so that you will then purchase the program. Please do not purchase this program, and if you already have, you should contact your credit card company to dispute the charges. Please follow the steps in the removal guide below to remove Total PC Defender and any related malware.
Automated Removal Instructions for Total PC Defender 2010 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
1. Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that is open later in the fix.
2. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. To do this, turn your computer off and then back on and immediately when you see anything on the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Eventually you will be brought to a menu similar to the one below:
Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter on your keyboard.
Windows will now boot into safe mode with networking and prompt you to login as a user. Please login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode. Then proceed with the rest of the steps.
3. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link
4. Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.
5. Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
6. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button.
7. MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically update itself after the install, you can press the OK button to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.
8. On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Total PC Defender 2010 related files.
9. MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.
10. When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image below.
You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the Total PC Defender 2010 removal process.
11. You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.
12. A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
14. When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.
15. You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Total PC Defender 2010 program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchase Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 to protect against these types of threats in the future.
| Associated Total PC Defender 2010 Files:|
c:\Program Files\Total PC Defender
c:\Program Files\Total PC Defender\Total PC Defender.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Total PC Defender.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Total PC Defender.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Total PC Defender
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Total PC Defender\Total PC Defender.lnk
c:\Program Files\Total PC Defender 2010\
c:\Program Files\Total PC Defender 2010\Total PC Defender 2010.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Total PC Defender 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Total PC Defender 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Total PC Defender 2010
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Total PC Defender 2010\Total PC Defender 2010.lnk
| Associated Total PC Defender 2010 Windows Registery Information:|
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Total PC Defender
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Total PC Defender 2010
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Total PC Defender 2010"